Subject: bug#14326: 24.3; Conflict of w32-send-sys-command and set-default-font

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 03 May 2013 09:28:54 +0200

> I was trying to explain why that comment might be of only historical
 > interest, since it describes code that we don't use.

The code is used on X.

 >> That's what I thought.  Hopefully `set-default-font`' at least resets
 >> the maximized frame parameter.
 >
 > I don't think it does.  And I'm not sure it should.

You mean that `frame-parameters' should be allowed to report a frame as
maximized even after it was explicitly demaximized?

 >>  > Not sure what x_set_window_size has to do with all this.
 >>
 >> That's the routine we're talking about here
 >
 > I understand, but I don't see how it is related to set-default-font.

It may eventually get called by it.

 >> When I fit the size of a frame to that of its buffer, I ideally would do
 >> this in one `modify-frame-parameters' call to set the size of the new
 >> frame.  But if this call shrinks the frame, both the menubar and the
 >> toolbar may wrap and my calculations get ignored.
 >
 > Do we really want to allow resizing that causes this wrap, when what
 > the user wants is to fit frame size to buffer?

I don't know whether we know the minimum width of the current toolbar so
as to not fit a frame to less than that but I suppose we could get it.
However, we can't get the minimum width of the menubar so as to not make
a frame narrower than it.  The Windows API simply does not provide it
and I wouldn't know how to approximate it.

martin