Subject: Re: bug#14325: 24.3; cc-mode does not initialize correctly w/ -batch

From: Alan Mackenzie <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2013 18:55:04 +0000

Hi, Glenn.

On Wed, May 01, 2013 at 01:59:49PM -0400, Glenn Morris wrote:
> Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> > However, you'll probably prefer to carry on with using Font Lock Mode
> > uninitialised.  ;-)  I think Glenn's patch achieves this painlessly.

> That patch seems like TRT to me anyway.

Yes.  Give me another hour or two to consider, then I'll probably commit
it.

> What problem is c-standard-font-lock-fontify-region-function supposed to
> solve?

font-lock-mode not being loaded at the time CC Mode gets loaded, in
particular in XEmacs.  [I really don't want two alternative bits of code
for this level of indirectness.]

> Someone changing the default value of
> font-lock-fontify-region-function in between font-lock-mode-hook being
> run and font-lock-fontify-region being called?  That shouldn't happen,
> only the buffer-local value should ever be changed. It's not a
> user-variable.

Anybody changing the default value of font-l-f-r-function had better
know what she's doing.  ;-)

> (I actually think you could safely just call
> font-lock-default-fontify-region .)

But somebody, somewhere, sometime _might_ change the default value of
font-lock-fontify-region-function.  Unlikely, but it's possible.

-- 
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).