Subject: 24.3.50; Gnus gnus-summary-respool-article broken due to gnus-completing-read

From: Reiner Steib <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 17:14:58 +0200

Recipe:

In a Gnus Summary buffer, type `B q' (gnus-summary-respool-query) to
"Query where the respool algorithm would put this article."
==> Fine, it displays the expected group.

Now do `B r' (gnus-summary-respool-article) to actually "Respool the
current article."

- Prompt "Backend to use when respooling (default nnml): ", I hit
  RET.  Fine.

- Prompt "Server name: ", TAB gives "no match".  What?  I'm sure that
  I have several nnml backends:

,----[ <f1> v gnus-server-alist RET ]
| gnus-server-alist is a variable defined in `gnus.el'.
| Its value is shown below.
| 
| Documentation:
| List of available servers.
| 
| Value: (("personal" nnml "personal"
|   (nnml-directory "~/Mail/personal")
|   [...]
|   (nnml-get-new-mail t)
|   (nnml-active-file "~/Mail/var/nnml/personal/active"))
|  ("archive" nnml "archive"
|   (nnml-directory "~/News/archive")
|   [...]
|   (nnml-get-new-mail nil)
|   (nnml-active-file "~/News/var/nnml/archive/active"))
|  [...]
`----

I'm sure that this worked correctly in the past, probably before the
changes done WRT `gnus-completing-read' around 2010-09-27.

,----
| 2010-09-27  Julien Danjou  <[email-masked]>
| 
| 	* gnus-util.el (gnus-completing-read): Use gnus-use-ido to apply the
| 	right completing-read function.
| 	(gnus-use-ido): New variable
| 	(gnus-completing-read-with-default): Remove.
|[...]
| 	* gnus-sum.el (gnus-summary-goto-article, gnus-summary-limit-to-extra)
| 	(gnus-summary-execute-command, gnus-summary-respool-article)
| 	(gnus-read-move-group-name):
|       [...]
| 	* gnus-registry.el (gnus-registry-read-mark): Use gnus-completing-read.
`----

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2013-04-05
Bzr revision: 112206 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10706000
System Description:	Ubuntu 10.04.4 LTS

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.utf8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Group

Minor modes in effect:
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  gnus-topic-mode: t
  hl-line-mode: t
  gnus-undo-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow emacsbug add-log log-view pcvs-util smerge-mode diff-mode
gnus-dup vc-annotate vc vc-dispatcher edebug vc-bzr debug ecomplete
flow-fill url-http url-gw url-auth url-queue url-cache url url-proxy
url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf
url-util url-parse url-vars flyspell ispell rs-message-misc nndiary
jka-compr pp shr browse-url gnus-cite smiley qp mm-archive gnus-async
gnus-bcklg mule-util gnus-ml disp-table sort gnus-topic hl-line utf-7
gnutls nnimap utf7 parse-time bbdb-gnus bbdb-snarf mail-extr netrc
network-stream auth-source eieio starttls tls rs-gnus-init
rs-bbdb-init bbdb-autoloads bbdb-gui gnus-draft gnus-agent gnus-srvr
gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual nntp gnus-cache nndraft nnmh
rs-gnus-article-wash boxquote rs-gnus-article rs-gnus-summary
spam-report gnus-picon rs-gnus-score-faces rs-gnus-notify cl-macs gv
spam spam-stat bbdb-com cl cl-lib bbdb timezone gnus-uu yenc gnus-msg
gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime
password-cache dig mailcap rs-gnus-misc nnir gnus-sum gnus-group
gnus-undo nnfolder nnml nnoo nnmail mail-source gnus-start gnus-spec
gnus-int gnus-range message sendmail rfc822 mml mml-sec mm-decode
mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
mail-utils mm-util mail-prsvr dired server help-mode rect org-clock
misearch multi-isearch dabbrev sh-script smie executable copyright
tabify thingatpt org-table org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe
org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp
org-exp-blocks org-agenda org-info org-gnus gnus-util org-docview
org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile
cconv ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src ob-comint
ob-keys org-pcomplete pcomplete comint ansi-color ring org-list
org-faces org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-emacs-lisp ob
org-compat org-macs ob-eval org-loaddefs format-spec find-func
cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs uniquify savehist cus-start cus-load
rs-init desktop recentf tree-widget wid-edit easymenu rs-tex nadvice
advice help-fns preview-latex tex-site auto-loads rs-misc edmacro
kmacro easy-mmode rs_loaddefs time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
inotify dynamic-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit
x multi-tty emacs)