Subject: bug#14300: 24.3; comint-dynamic-complete-functions breaks

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 04 May 2013 16:08:40 -0400

> The semantics of comint-dynamic-complete-functions has changed between
> emacs-24 and previous releases.

Indeed.

> With the new semantics it only does the first one because it will always
> (99% cases) succeed (getting the completion-table nearly always
> succeeds).

Then the code needs to be fixed not to succeed when point is somewhere
where that completion doesn't apply.

> This is unfortunate because a lot of modes rely on the previous
> behaviour to provide rich completions for comint based modes.

But that ad-hoc way to combine completions had many downsides (e.g. you
can't tell when to hide the *Completions* buffer, you can't provide
completion-help-at-point, and it interacts poorly with sophisticated
completion-styles).

> I noticed this bug because file completion no longer works in
> octave-mode.

Let's try to focus on this, then.

        Stefan