Subject: Re: bug#14300: 24.3; comint-dynamic-complete-functions breaks

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2013 22:38:34 -0400

>> Good question.  Can file names really occur at the same places as
>> function names in Octave?
> F("arg1", "arg2", ...) can be written as F arg1 arg2 ... in octave. For
> example 'help sin' and 'cd /usr'.

> So there is no clear way to detect whether a position is file-completion
> or function-completion given the fact that user can define a function
> that does do both in the same position.

While there are cases where there is ambiguity, there are many where the
ambiguity can be lifted:

You could prevent function completion within a string, so file name
completion still won't work after 'cd /u' but it will after 'cd "/u'.
Similarly you might disable function completion if the "current function
name" includes a / (assuming real functions don't include a slash in
their name).

In the worst case, you might want to use ":exclusive t", tho it means that
function completion won't be able to benefit from fancier completion styles.

        Stefan