Subject: bug#14297: 24.3.50; emacs subprocesses don't exit on "exit"

From: Vitalie Spinu <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2013 14:39:37 +0200

>> Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
 >> on Sun, 28 Apr 2013 20:34:19 -0400 wrote:

 > Vitalie Spinu wrote:
 >> In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.17)
 >> of 2013-04-28 on vitoshka-home
 > [...]
 >> Configured using:
 >> `configure --no-create --no-recursion'

 > PS I don't understand how you managed to get these two pieces of
 > information in the same bug report. It doesn't make sense.

This is the default ./configure :) I tried it again, see below.

 >> I sent the bug report from 
 >> 
 >> commit 56a944dff18bde39e321aea2a987cb97a8db96e1 (HEAD)
 >> Merge: c3db377 2c1bbee
 >> Author: Glenn Morris <rgm <at> gnu.org>
 >> Date:   Sun Dec 30 10:09:01 2012 -0800

 > Then I understand even less. Why does it say 2013-04-28 above then?

I think it reports the useless build date:). I have just built it again
on trunk from the following git commit:

   @~/TVC/emacs$ git log -1
   commit 8b34d015f1bb9af52028a5037a0d6047e638a95d
   Merge: e4b1f23 2a88707
   Author: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
   Date:   Sat Feb 9 17:56:25 2013 -0800
   
       Merge from emacs-24; up to r111242

with 

   git clean -fd
   make bootstrap

And it gives the same thing:

   GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.17) of
   2013-04-29 on vitoshka-home
   
   Configured using:
    `configure --no-create --no-recursion'
   
   Important settings:
     value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
     locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
     default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Configure output:

   Configured for `i686-pc-linux-gnu'.
   
     Where should the build process find the source code?    /home/vitoshka/TVC/emacs
     What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc -std=gnu99 -g3 -O2
     Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
         (Using Doug Lea's new malloc from the GNU C Library.)
     Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    no
     Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
     What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
     What toolkit should Emacs use?                          GTK2
     Where do we find X Windows header files?                Standard dirs
     Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   Standard dirs
     Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
     Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   yes
     Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  yes
     Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  yes
     Does Emacs use a gif library?                           yes -lgif
     Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   yes
     Does Emacs use -lrsvg-2?                                yes
     Does Emacs use imagemagick?                             yes
     Does Emacs use -lgpm?                                   yes
     Does Emacs use -ldbus?                                  yes
     Does Emacs use -lgconf?                                 yes
     Does Emacs use GSettings?                               yes
     Does Emacs use -lselinux?                               no
     Does Emacs use -lgnutls?                                yes
     Does Emacs use -lxml2?                                  yes
     Does Emacs use -lfreetype?                              yes
     Does Emacs use -lm17n-flt?                              yes
     Does Emacs use -lotf?                                   yes
     Does Emacs use -lxft?                                   yes
     Does Emacs use toolkit scroll bars?                     yes

And the shell problem is there. The bash subprocess actually exits but
emacs doesn't notice that. Same on today's trunk:

   In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.17)
    of 2013-04-29 on vitoshka-home
   Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11303000
   System Description:	Ubuntu 13.04
   
   Important settings:
     value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
     locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
     default enable-multibyte-characters: t

The problem does not occur in non-emacs terminal or in emacs24
branch. 

    Vitalie