Subject: bug#14252: closed (Re: bug#14252: du. version 8.13. Minor error in --help)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:47:04 +0000

Your bug report

#14252: du. version 8.13. Minor error in --help

which was filed against the coreutils package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
14252: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14252
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#14252: du. version 8.13. Minor error in --help
From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
To: "Diamond, Mark" <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 06:41:15 -0600
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tag 14252 notabug
thanks

On 04/24/2013 01:02 AM, Diamond, Mark wrote:
> I am running Linux Mint with du version 8.13.

Thanks for the report.  By the way, can you convince your mailer to wrap
long lines?

> 
> du has the option "--summarize", correctly named as such on the man page. But du --help refers to the flag as "--summarise" (i.e., incorrectly with an 's')

Running 'git grep -i summarise v8.13' has zero hits on the upstream
repository; it is spelled correctly in the 8.13 release.  The same holds
true for the master branch of current coreutils.git.  Also, the man page
is generated by running 'du --help' in the C locale; so if the man page
is correct, that is further evidence that du --help is normally correct.

I suspect that you are seeing a poor translation due to your choice of
locale, where the translator provided a UK-spelling translation and
accidentally translated a US-spelling option name without realizing that
option names are not localized.  But we would need to know the output of
'locale' on your system to confirm that fact; you can also try 'LC_ALL=C
du --help' to see if it clears up the problem.  Another possibility
(although less likely) is that you are seeing the effect of a (botched)
downstream patch.

At any rate, since coreutils.git does not have the problem, I'm closing
this upstream bug, so that the bug tracker doesn't get clogged with
things that we cannot fix here.  Good luck in finding the real
downstream source of the typo!  And feel free to make further comments
here, with what you find.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org

Subject: du. version 8.13. Minor error in --help
From: "Diamond, Mark" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 08:02:41 +0100 (BST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I am running Linux Mint with du version 8.13.

du has the option "--summarize", correctly named as such on the man page. But du --help refers to the flag as "--summarise" (i.e., incorrectly with an 's')

Cheers,
Mark Diamond