Subject: bug#14250: FW: bug#14250: 23.1; Files locked by myself

From: "Elrod, David" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 21:57:32 +0000

Sorry to see this closed with no resolution....

I responded to email from Andreas (see copy below) three hours after 
it arrived at our mail server.

I never saw the followup email from Glen.

To answer Glen's questions, I'm using ext3 as a file system.
It works wherever I've tried to create a file.

I get the same error if I do:

    rm -f /tmp/FOO
    touch /tmp/FOO
    emacs -Q /tmp/FOO

Each time I try to save It shows:
    /tmp/FOO locked by elrodd@elrodd... (pid 21418): (s, q, p, ?)? 
or similar in the status bar.

Both before and after editing the file, "ls -l /tmp/FOO" shows:
  -rw-rw-r--. 1 elrodd elrodd 5 Jun 19 14:55 /tmp/FOO

I noted that emacs was protected:
  -rwxr-xr-t. 1 0 0 11143104 Mar  1  2012 /usr/bin/emacs-23.1
If I remove the sticky bit (t), it behaves the same.

________________________________________
From: Elrod, David
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 16:22
To: Andreas Schwab
Subject: RE: bug#14250: 23.1; Files locked by myself

Thanks for the quick reply:

When I do:  M-:
the mini-buffer responds with "Eval: "

I then entered:
    (file-locked-p(overview.html))
which was the name of the file I was editing, the name of the buffer
from the status bar, and the name I see when I list buffers, I get:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (void-function overview\.html)
  (overview\.html)
  (file-locked-p (overview\.html))
  eval((file-locked-p (overview\.html)))
  eval-expression((file-locked-p (overview\.html)) nil)
  call-interactively(eval-expression nil nil)

The status bar starts out with -U:**-  which seems to indicate I changed
the buffer, and when I do a save I am told the file is locked.

Trying:
    (file-locked-p("overview.html))
returns:

Debugger entered--Lisp error: (invalid-function "overview.html")
  ("overview.html")
  (file-locked-p ("overview.html"))
  eval((file-locked-p ("overview.html")))
  eval-expression((file-locked-p ("overview.html")) nil)
  call-interactively(eval-expression nil nil)

Note also that when I save the file I get prompted that it is locked.
The next time I try to change the file I'm also prompted that it is
locked and have to steal or proceed to be able to edit the file again.

Thinking it might be related to nXML mode, I tried a text file (Text Fill mode)
and got more added to the debug stack which is attached (because it has
binary byte code values).

Thank you for your help!

David

________________________________________
From: Andreas Schwab [[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, April 23, 2013 13:23
To: Elrod, David
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: bug#14250: 23.1; Files locked by myself

What does (file-locked-p (buffer-file-name)) return when you are inside
a modified buffer visiting a file?

Andreas.

--
Andreas Schwab, [email-masked]
GPG Key fingerprint = 58CA 54C7 6D53 942B 1756  01D3 44D5 214B 8276 4ED5
"And now for something completely different."