Subject: bug#14244: 24.3.50; Make menu-bar `Buffers' menu be usable normally

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 10:56:09 -0700

I'm writing this without a lot of investigation.  Apologies if I am
incorrect in some way.
 
My impression is that menu-bar menu `Buffers' is (still) hard-coded and
created dynamically.  It does a library or a user no good to, e.g., add
a submenu to `global-buffers-menu-map' - that will be wiped out by the
dynamic re-creation of the menu.
 
Can this not please be remedied, so that the dynamic fiddling still
happens but that there is a real anchor point - a real
`global-buffers-menu-map' to which a user can add submenus etc. without
having them be ignored/overwritten/disappear?
 
I have a menu, for instance, of Icicles commands that pertain to
buffers.  I add it as a submenu of `File': `File' > `Icicles' >
`Buffers'.  It would be more logical to have it as `Buffers' >
`Icicles'.  I've had it where it is for years, but a user reminded me
that it would make more sense under `Buffers'.  I had forgotten the
reason that it is not.
 
If I'm missing something simple, please advise.
 
In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2013-04-17 on ODIEONE
Bzr revision: 112320 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -IC:/Devel/emacs/build/include --ldflags -LC:/Devel/emacs/build/lib'