Subject: RE: bug#14233: 24.3; Don't constrain frame size to character multiples

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 14:50:52 -0700

> Yes.  But there are no problems with that, and it is unrelated to this
> discussion.
> 
> > IOW, "Text" and the text area are not just about lines and 
> > columns anymore, at least when it comes to resizing a window
> > or frame to fit it.
> 
> "Lines and columns" are just units of measurement in the context of
> this discussion.  No one is saying that Emacs should be able to
> display only integral number of characters and lines; that restriction
> was removed in Emacs 21, and no one would even dream about going back.

> IOW, I cannot possibly see how your comments are related to what is
> being discussed here.

If this is not at all related to being able to compute/determine the actual
pixel size of various buffer/window/frame areas, in particular the "text" area,
then please excuse the interruption.

But if it does concern that, at least in part, then please reread my post.

You seem to be saying that such problems were solved long ago (Emacs 21, no
less).  But no, it is an open enhancement request to be able to compute the
buffer "text" area size in pixels, as _displayed_ (in order, e.g., to fit a
window/frame to it).

See, for example:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2011-01/msg00323.html

http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=7822

Again, apologies if this in fact has nothing to do with the current thread.  I
thought it did (and still think it does, so far - but you will please set me
straight).