Subject: bug#14233: 24.3; Don't constrain frame size to character multiples

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Apr 2013 19:35:18 +0200

>> One can check whether pixel-edges are equal.
 >
 > Yes, I think that's a better solution for that.

But we also should try to not break code outside our code base.

 >> Also the frame's internal border is drawn in between toolbar and the
 >> frame's root window
 >
 > At least on MS-Windows, I see no border.  Or perhaps I don't know what
 > to look for.

With emacs -Q try

(set-frame-parameter (selected-frame) 'internal-border-width 12)

 >>  > As for display margins, they do display text, don't they?
 >>
 >> IIUC they could display anything fringes can display
 >
 > No.  Fringes can only display bitmaps.  The cannot display text or
 > images that we support in the text area or on margins.

Yes.  But I meant that display margins can display images and bitmaps as
well.  Or am I missing something?

 > I'm trying to think why the fringes were included.  It is possible
 > that the reasons were practical rather then anything else.  Like the
 > desire to have the text area contiguous.

With the default they fail precisely in this regard.

 >> BTW, I've never been able to understand the manuals and doc-strings in
 >> this regard.  Consider the doc-string of `set-frame-width': "Specify
 >> that the frame FRAME has COLS columns."  Or its manual entry: "This
 >> function sets the width of FRAME, measured in characters."
 >
 > What's wrong with those?

That they never explain what the "width of a frame" is.  The best
explanation I could find is

http://www.xemacs.org/Documentation/21.5/html/internals_29.html#SEC275

(in particular section 29.7 "The Displayable Area") but it still lacks
an explanation of frame fringe widths (maybe because XEmacs doesn't have
them).

martin