Subject: bug#14233: 24.3; Don't constrain frame size to character multiples

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 07:39:00 -0700

Lots of good background info for those of us who are not up on this stuff -
thanks, Martin.

Just one remark, from one user and use case.  Not sure how relevant it is to
what you guys are discussing - if not, please ignore.

> We also resize the frame when we change its default font...

I have code that relies on this behavior to shrink not only the default font
size (of all windows in the frame) but the frame itself.  I do this not only to
zoom (shrink or enlarge) a frame and its text slightly.  I do it also to shrink
it a lot - down to a thumbnail/icon size - and later restore it.

I would not like to see this behavior change, so that, e.g., Emacs stopped
resizing the frame when I change the font size for the frame.

We already have the ability to scale text (for a particular buffer, but not a
window or all windows in a frame) without the frame shrinking.  Both kinds of
behavior, buffer zooming and frame zooming, are useful.

In fact, each of my zoom commands can do either, and can toggle between the two
behaviors: zoom the current buffer or zoom the selected frame.

Just wanted to point out this probably not-so-obvious use case that is based on
the frame-size-follows-font-size behavior has long enjoyed.  If you change
something that might jeopardize this, please at least make it optional for the
frame and font size to be coupled this way.  Thx.

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/download/zoom-frm.el
http://emacswiki.org/emacs/SetFonts#ChangingFontSize

http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en/download/thumb-frm.el
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs-en?FisheyeWithThumbs