Subject: bug#14233: 24.3; Don't constrain frame size to character multiples

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 12:02:17 +0200

Hello.

25 apr 2013 kl. 09:31 skrev martin rudalics <[email-masked]>:

> > I don't see how.  The problem is what to do with leftover pixels when
> > the removed element isn't a multiple of the character size.  Measuring
> > the frame in pixels does not help when removing, for example, a tool
> > bar that is 1.5 character high.  It is the same problem, what to do
> > with 0.5 character height.  Now if windows are measured in pixels, we
> > can give those pixels to windows, but frames measured in pixels does
> > not help.
> 
> Maybe we are just miscommunicating.  IIUC the above scenario is of
> interest only with an "external" element on a tiled/fullscreen/maximized
> frame (if the frame is not of that kind we just remove the external
> element).

If the goal is to not resize the frame, removing an external element will always mean there are leftover pixels. 
So the scenario always apply. 

> 
> If you agree on that, we have to find out what to do with the leftover
> pixels.  And I earlier said that "you" should pass these leftover pixels
> via change_frame_size to the window resizing subsystem.  This means that
> the routine that removes the element has to (1) calculate the number of
> pixels occupied by it, (2) communicate the removal of the element to the
> window manager, if necessary, and (3) add the number of pixels of the
> element to the number of pixels occupied by the frame's text size and
> call change_frame_size with the new value.  What am I missing?

   Jan D.