Subject: Re: bug#14233: 24.3; Don't constrain frame size to character multiples

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 09:31:12 +0200

> I don't see how.  The problem is what to do with leftover pixels when
 > the removed element isn't a multiple of the character size.  Measuring
 > the frame in pixels does not help when removing, for example, a tool
 > bar that is 1.5 character high.  It is the same problem, what to do
 > with 0.5 character height.  Now if windows are measured in pixels, we
 > can give those pixels to windows, but frames measured in pixels does
 > not help.

Maybe we are just miscommunicating.  IIUC the above scenario is of
interest only with an "external" element on a tiled/fullscreen/maximized
frame (if the frame is not of that kind we just remove the external
element).

If you agree on that, we have to find out what to do with the leftover
pixels.  And I earlier said that "you" should pass these leftover pixels
via change_frame_size to the window resizing subsystem.  This means that
the routine that removes the element has to (1) calculate the number of
pixels occupied by it, (2) communicate the removal of the element to the
window manager, if necessary, and (3) add the number of pixels of the
element to the number of pixels occupied by the frame's text size and
call change_frame_size with the new value.  What am I missing?

martin