Subject: bug#14233: 24.3; Don't constrain frame size to character multiples

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 09:30:36 +0200

> FWIW, I haven't followed all the details of this discussion, but it
 > seems to be about "how do we adjust the size of the frame when some
 > display elements are added/removed".

... or change size, yes.

 > If so, then one answer is "never
 > adjust it".

That's the answer I would have liked to hear in the first place.  And
that's what we currently do when a frame internal toolbar wraps, for
example, by occupying two lines instead of one.  And we do it
(unintentionally, alas) when the menubar wraps on Windows (but this is a
problem of the Windows API and not of Emacs).

We currently don't do it when changing a frame's nominal scrollbar size.
In most cases, changing a frame's scrollbar size is done, however, in a
consistent fashion.  The only problem I remarked earlier happens when
changing the scrollbar size of a fullscreen/maximized frame which
usually is no more fullscreen/maximized afterwards (maybe this has been
fixed meanwhile).

And we don't do it currently when changing fringe widths.  Changing
fringes, however, is done in a pretty uncoordinated fashion as bug#14222
and the discussions in this thread document.

 > Of course with frames measured in "lines × columns" this
 > comes with its own set of problems, but if we switch to measuring frames
 > in pixels, the problem should hopefully become simpler.

The problem remains as it is.  It's up to us to decide what we want.

martin