Subject: bug#14233: 24.3; Don't constrain frame size to character multiples

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 08:39:05 +0200

>> In any case I'd want either an #ifdef or a simple and robust
 >> predicate without having to care about #ifdefs.
 >
 > Sorry, you can't, not with the current infrastructure.  You must do it
 > with a predicate that is also protected with an ifdef.

Then I don't see any motivation to move the platform dependent parts to
change_frame_size.  It would only make the code uglier than it already
is.

 > In the past weeks I started to doubt whether Emacs really knows
 >> everything it pretends to know.
 >
 > Maybe so, but "1 character == 1 pixel on TTY frames" does not belong
 > to any gray areas.

As a matter of fact, I only pretended to doubt.  Anyway, the entire
window resizing code now works pixelwise so on TTY frames nothing will
change.

 > I think all the information is already stored in the frame object.

Which makes me wonder why calc_absolute_offset looks like it does.

martin