Subject: bug#14233: 24.3; Don't constrain frame size to character multiples

From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2013 08:50:53 +0200

>> How do you "remove fringes"?  There are at least three ways to do that.
 >
 > Menu bar, options show.
 >
 >>> If I remove scrollbars, I get frame-size 83, and window-size 41.
 >> How do you "remove scrollbars"?
 >>
 >
 > Menu bar, options show.

BTW, what you do here reveals the basic problem with how Emacs currently
handles fringes and scrollbars.  When you remove the scrollbars the
Emacs frame shrinks.  When you remove the fringes it does not shrink.
Yet, when changing frame sizes we are expected to handle fringes and
scrollbars alike: They are no text, they are no windows and therefore
should not be counted in the width of the frame's text area.  This
cannot ever work right.

martin