Subject: bug#14233: 24.3; Don't constrain frame size to character multiples

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 21:21:29 +0300

> Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2013 18:38:51 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> CC: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>, "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>, 
>  "[email-masked]" <[email-masked]>
> 
> change_frame_size has no idea whether it is called for a text or a
> graphical frame.

That is done very easily, given the frame pointer (which
change_frame_size accepts as its 1st argument).  E.g.:

  if (FRAME_WINDOW_P (f))
    /* do the GUI thing */

> Text frames might want to call it as before using character sizes.

On text-mode frames, each character is one pixel.  Emacs knows that
already.

> In any case, the callers have to strip space used for tool- or
> menubars because change_frame_size does not know whether these are
> part of the frame or not.

Why can't change_frame_size know that?