Subject: bug#14215: "Visit new file" not working in windows 7

From: Munk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2013 13:23:15 +0100 (BST)

Hi,

in the Emacs binary for Windows, the toolbar button for "Visit new file" does not work correctly anymore. Similarly, clicking "File" -> "Visit new file..." does not work. The only thing that works for me for setting up a new file seems to be the keystrokes C-x C-f .

Some more details, starting from `emacs -Q':
- click on toolbar button "Visit new file", or menu "File" -> "Visit new file..." 
- in the file selector popping up, navigate to the desired directory
- in the field "file name" of the file selector, enter the name of the new file
- now press enter, or click on "Open"
=> nothing happens. The file selector popup stays open, no new file is opened. You can only exit with "cancel"

I hope you can reproduce this.

Best regards,
Tobias

System: Windows 7

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2013-03-17 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: DEU
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <tool-bar> <new-file> <help-echo> <help-echo> 
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <file> <new-file> <help-echo> 
C-x C-f <backspace> <C-backspace> <C-backspace> <C-backspace> 
<C-backspace> <C-backspace> <C-backspace> D <tab> o 
<tab> <backspace> 0 <tab> <tab> M y <tab> <tab> t m 
<tab> <backspace> <backspace> <tab> <tab> <tab> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <tab> <tab> M y <tab> <tab> 
t <tab> <tab> m p <tab> <tab> <tab> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> \ <tab> <tab> M y <tab> <tab> <tab> <tab> 
<tab> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> D o 
<tab> c <tab> <tab> t m <tab> t e s t . t x t <return> 
<help-echo> <help-echo> C-x r e p o <tab> <backspace> 
M-x r e p o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Quit [2 times]
Making completion list... [6 times]
(New file)
Making completion list...
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only [6 times]
mouse-yank-primary: No selection is available
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp w32-common-fns
disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe
tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow
timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu
font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan
thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech
european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process w32 multi-tty emacs)