Subject: 23.4; Timezone handling?

From: "Julio Pacheco T." <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2013 12:40:22 -0300

This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list
and the gnu.emacs.bug news group, and at http://debbugs.gnu.org.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

----

Apparently, Emacs is ignoring the system timezone settings and using its 
own definitions.

In Chile, the switch from daylight savings to standard time has been 
postponed from March 10 00:00 to April 28 00:00, and the system tzdata 
files have been properly updated; however, inside Emacs, the timezone is 
reported as CLT instead of CLST:

Output of zdump -v Chile/Continental | grep 2013
------------------------------------------------
Chile/Continental  Sun Apr 28 02:59:59 2013 UTC = Sat Apr 27 23:59:59 2013 
CLST isdst=1 gmtoff=-10800
Chile/Continental  Sun Apr 28 03:00:00 2013 UTC = Sat Apr 27 23:00:00 2013 
CLT isdst=0 gmtoff=-14400
Chile/Continental  Sun Sep  8 03:59:59 2013 UTC = Sat Sep  7 23:59:59 2013 
CLT isdst=0 gmtoff=-14400
Chile/Continental  Sun Sep  8 04:00:00 2013 UTC = Sun Sep  8 01:00:00 2013 
CLST isdst=1 gmtoff=-10800

Output of emacs Calendar/Lunar phases (note the switch CLST-> CLT in the 
Mar 4 - Mar 11 interval, instead of Apr25 - May2):
---------------------------------------
Monday, March 4, 2013: Last Quarter Moon 6:59pm (CLST)
Monday, March 11, 2013: New Moon 3:54pm (CLT)
Tuesday, March 19, 2013: First Quarter Moon 1:28pm (CLT)
Wednesday, March 27, 2013: Full Moon 5:26am (CLT)
Wednesday, April 3, 2013: Last Quarter Moon 12:43am (CLT)
Wednesday, April 10, 2013: New Moon 5:39am (CLT)
Thursday, April 18, 2013: First Quarter Moon 8:33am (CLT)
Thursday, April 25, 2013: Full Moon 3:55pm (CLT)
Thursday, May 2, 2013: Last Quarter Moon 7:21am (CLT)
Thursday, May 9, 2013: New Moon 8:32pm (CLT)
Saturday, May 18, 2013: First Quarter Moon 12:36am (CLT)
Saturday, May 25, 2013: Full Moon 12:22am (CLT)
Friday, May 31, 2013: Last Quarter Moon 3:05pm (CLT)

Also, in org-mode the timestamps created by org-clock-in are off by -1 
hour, so the discrepancies in timezone are not mode-specific.

So, where is emacs actually getting the timezone info from?

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
     `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.12)
  of 2012-09-22 on allspice, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11300000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 
'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' 
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib' 
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes' 
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp' 
'--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes' 
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars' 
'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector 
--param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall -DDEBIAN 
-O2' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: nil
   value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
   value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
   value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
   value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
   value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
   value of $LC_TIME: nil
   value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
   value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
   default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Calendar

Minor modes in effect:
   tooltip-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <menu-bar> <tools> <calendar> <help-echo>
<menu-bar> <Sun/Moon> <Lunar Phases> <escape>  r e p o r t
- <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-default.el 
(source)...done
Loading debian-ispell...done
Loading /var/cache/dictionaries-common/emacsen-ispell-dicts.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50dictionaries-common.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50emacs-goodies-el.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50flim.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50org-mode.el (source)...done
Loading /etc/emacs/site-start.d/50w3m-el.el (source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Computing phases of the moon...done

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/site-lisp/debian-startup hides 
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sha1 hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/sha1
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/md4
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/hex-util
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-freemind hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-freemind
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-archive hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-archive
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-compat hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-compat
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-xoxo hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-xoxo
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-plot hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-plot
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-src hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-src
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-habit hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-habit
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-mew hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-mew
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-mobile hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-mobile
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-w3m hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-w3m
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-datetree hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-datetree
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-indent hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-indent
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-wl hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-wl
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-remember hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-remember
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-crypt hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-crypt
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-docbook hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-docbook
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-mhe hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-mhe
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-protocol hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-protocol
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-list hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-list
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-irc hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-irc
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-inlinetask hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-timer hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-timer
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-jsinfo hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-jsinfo
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-install hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-install
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-attach hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-attach
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-macs hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-macs
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-faces hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-faces
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-exp hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-exp
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-info hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-info
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-clock hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-clock
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-colview hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-colview
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-ascii hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-ascii
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-mac-message hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-mac-message
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-html hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-html
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-exp-blocks hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-exp-blocks
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-vm hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-vm
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-bibtex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-rmail hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-rmail
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-gnus hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-gnus
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-publish hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-publish
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-table hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-table
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-agenda hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-agenda
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-mouse hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-mouse
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-bbdb hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-feed hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-feed
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-footnote hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-footnote
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-icalendar hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-icalendar
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-id hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-id
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/org-mode/org-latex hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/org/org-latex
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/hmac-def
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/sasl-digest
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides 
/usr/share/emacs/23.4/lisp/net/hmac-md5

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
sha1-el hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug lunar solar cal-dst
mule-util cal-move regexp-opt cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
folding-isearch folding advice help-fns advice-preload easymenu w3m-load
org-install emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs
easy-mmode tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mldrag mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev loaddefs button
minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties overlay md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process dbusbind system-font-setting
font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)