Subject: bug#14189: ls -d bug ??

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 00:06:16 -0600

Bob Proulx wrote:
> Option 2 with much more description:
> 
>   `-d'
>   `--directory'
>      Do not list the contents of directories.  List only the name.
>      Without this option any non-option command-line arguments that
>      are directories are treated specially and instead of the name the
>      contents are listed.  This option turns that behavior off and
>      directories are only listed by name, the same as any
>      non-directory file.  This is most typically used with `-l' to
>      list the information for the directory itself instead of its
>      contents.  Do not follow symbolic links unless the
>      `--dereference-command-line' (`-H'), `--dereference' (`-L'), or
>      `--dereference-command-line-symlink-to-dir' options are
>      specified.  Overrides `--recursive', (`-R').

Some local wordsmithing turned out the following as a better
improvement.  It lists what it does in the positive first.  And
removes the negative which was seen as being too confusing.

  `-d'
  `--directory'
     List only the name of directories, not the contents.  This is
     most typically used with `-l' to list the information for the
     directory itself instead of its contents.  Do not follow symbolic
     links unless the `--dereference-command-line' (`-H'),
     `--dereference' (`-L'), or
     `--dereference-command-line-symlink-to-dir' options are
     specified.  Overrides `--recursive', (`-R').

Bob