Subject: bug#14188: 24.3.50; ODF files and auto-mode-alist

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 23:14:05 +0300

> From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 21:55:24 +0200
> 
> The extension .od[fgpst] for ODF files occurs twice as part of a key in
> the default value of auto-mode-alist, paired first with archive-mode and
> later with doc-view-mode-maybe.  As a result, visiting such a file shows
> the directory-style listing of the archive instead of the files content.
> To see the latter, you have to explicitly invoke doc-view-mode.  But if
> .od[fgpst] is removed from the key paired with archive-mode, then
> visiting such a file shows the content after conversion, and when you
> type C-c C-c, it switches to the archive listing, due to
> magic-fallback-mode-alist.[1]  I think this is better behavior.  I can't
> test files with the other extensions in the problematic entry
> ("\\.\\(sx[dmicw]\\|od[fgpst]\\|oxt\\)\\'" . archive-mode), so I don't
> know if the whole entry should be deleted or only "od[fgpst]\\|".

doc-view-mode requires additional programs.  What if they are not
available?