Subject: 24.3.50; ODF files and auto-mode-alist

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 21:55:24 +0200

The extension .od[fgpst] for ODF files occurs twice as part of a key in
the default value of auto-mode-alist, paired first with archive-mode and
later with doc-view-mode-maybe.  As a result, visiting such a file shows
the directory-style listing of the archive instead of the files content.
To see the latter, you have to explicitly invoke doc-view-mode.  But if
.od[fgpst] is removed from the key paired with archive-mode, then
visiting such a file shows the content after conversion, and when you
type C-c C-c, it switches to the archive listing, due to
magic-fallback-mode-alist.[1]  I think this is better behavior.  I can't
test files with the other extensions in the problematic entry
("\\.\\(sx[dmicw]\\|od[fgpst]\\|oxt\\)\\'" . archive-mode), so I don't
know if the whole entry should be deleted or only "od[fgpst]\\|".

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.4)
 of 2013-04-09 on rosalinde
Bzr revision: 112253 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11203000
System Description:	openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64)

Configured using:
 `configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars CFLAGS=-g3 -O0'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Footnotes: 
[1]  Actually, it only switches to the archive listing if the global
value of major-mode is fundamental-mode.  I don't know if this is a bug,
so I'll ask about it on emacs-devel.