Subject: bug#14188: closed (Re: bug#14188: 24.3.50; ODF files and auto-mode-alist)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 06:39:02 +0000

Your bug report

#14188: 24.3.50; ODF files and auto-mode-alist

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
14188: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14188
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#14188: 24.3.50; ODF files and auto-mode-alist
From: Tassilo Horn <[email-masked]>
To: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2013 08:34:18 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Stephen Berman <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Stephen,

>> Hm, I think for OpenDocument files, the alternatives of a user
>> wanting to view the file using archive-mode and doc-view-mode are
>> equally likely.
>
> That's not the case for me, and I'd be surprised if it were for most
> users.  I virtually always want to simply view the document's content
> in Emacs.  I guess the only reason to want to open it in archive-mode
> is to edit one of the XML source files, but since most or all of these
> are formatted as one line, it isn't fun to edit the source.  Usually I
> edit ODF files with LibreOffice.

Ok, that makes sense.

>> So how about using the PS (PostScript) approach also here?  That is,
>> we remove the ODF regexes for doc-view-mode-maybe from
>> auto-mode-alist, and in archive-mode we check if the current archive
>> is an ODF file, and if so, enable doc-view-minor-mode.
>>
>> This would message
>>
>>   Type M-x doc-view-toggle-display to toggle between editing or viewing
>>   the document.
>>
>> thus indicating to the user how he can view the document with doc-view
>> instead of editing it as an archive.
>>
>> Does that sound reasonable?
>
> If the message really were what you wrote, I would find that
> unacceptable.  But when I enable doc-view-minor-mode in archive-mode,
> I see the message
>
>   Type C-c C-c to toggle between editing or viewing the document.

Hm, I see the message with M-x when I open some file for the first time.
Thereafter, it shows the key binding instead...

> Whichever decision you make, I do think you should do the same with MS
> OpenXML (.docx, .xlsx) files, too.  (These are currently only paired
> with doc-view-mode-maybe.)

I've now committed the change you suggested initially, that is, I've
removed the OpenDocument and StarOffice file extensions from the
archive-mode entry.  One exception is *.OXT which is an OpenOffice
extension pack that has no visual representation.

So now doc-view-mode-maybe is the default for StarOffice/MSOffice/
OpenDocument files instead of archive-mode with the possibility of
falling back to that with a simple C-c C-c.

I'm closing this bug now.

Thanks,
Tassilo

Subject: 24.3.50; ODF files and auto-mode-alist
From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 21:55:24 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

The extension .od[fgpst] for ODF files occurs twice as part of a key in
the default value of auto-mode-alist, paired first with archive-mode and
later with doc-view-mode-maybe.  As a result, visiting such a file shows
the directory-style listing of the archive instead of the files content.
To see the latter, you have to explicitly invoke doc-view-mode.  But if
.od[fgpst] is removed from the key paired with archive-mode, then
visiting such a file shows the content after conversion, and when you
type C-c C-c, it switches to the archive listing, due to
magic-fallback-mode-alist.[1]  I think this is better behavior.  I can't
test files with the other extensions in the problematic entry
("\\.\\(sx[dmicw]\\|od[fgpst]\\|oxt\\)\\'" . archive-mode), so I don't
know if the whole entry should be deleted or only "od[fgpst]\\|".

In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (x86_64-suse-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.4)
 of 2013-04-09 on rosalinde
Bzr revision: 112253 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11203000
System Description:	openSUSE 12.2 (x86_64)

Configured using:
 `configure --without-toolkit-scroll-bars CFLAGS=-g3 -O0'

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Footnotes: 
[1]  Actually, it only switches to the archive listing if the global
value of major-mode is fundamental-mode.  I don't know if this is a bug,
so I'll ask about it on emacs-devel.