Subject: bug#14148: 24.3; make ido-mode slightly more customizable

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2024 03:20:17 -0800

Steven Degutis <[email-masked]> writes:

> list appear vertically. However, This is limited for two reasons, both
> of which are easy to fix. For one thing, the elements at indices 4 and 5
> of ido-decorations are overloaded, and used in two places when they
> really should be separated out into two different pairs of
> decorations. Specifically on lines 4573/4575, this should use new
> elements, at new indices 11 and 12 (for backwards compatibility), which
> default to the same values as the existing elements 4 and 5. Then these
> "brackets" can be customized separately (one as a newline and one not)
> when displaying vertically. And only when element 11 exists should it
> use 11 and 12, otherwise it should fall back to 4 and 5 for backwards
> compatibility with anyone who has customized ido-decorations themselves
> before this change. Finally, the inner-if on line 4563 has to be wrapped
> with an (and (not (ido-show-when-sole-exact-match)) ...) with that
> variable created as a defcustom above. This will prevent the sole exact
> match from being hidden, which in vertical mode is confusing and seems
> to indicate that there no longer remains any matches. I would add the
> changelog myself but I'm woefully ignorant on how to do so. There is
> already most of the work done in a patch on the devel mailing list in a
> post by Stefan Monnier.

That was 10 years ago, so I'm reaching out to see if this is still
an issue on a modern version of Emacs.  Did you try the new fido-mode,
for example?

If I don't hear back from you within a couple of months, Ill just assume
that this has been fixed and close this bug.

Thanks in advance.