Subject: bug#14128: closed (Re: bug#14128: web/http.scm: bad-header date check (UTC?))

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 08:36:02 +0000

Your bug report

#14128: web/http.scm: bad-header date check (UTC?)

which was filed against the guile package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
14128: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14128
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#14128: web/http.scm: bad-header date check (UTC?)
From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
To: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2013 03:35:23 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Andy Wingo agreed on IRC to accepting UTC, since we've since discovered
that not only various web servers, but also some transparent web proxies
put UTC in the date header, which was causing problems for many people.

So, I've pushed a change to stable-2.0 to accept UTC.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=guile.git;a=commit;h=8904b7a9362ede0de324e55701d8ea1d018f8738

I'm closing this bug now.  Thanks for the report!

      Mark

Subject: web/http.scm: bad-header date check (UTC?)
From: Aleix Conchillo Flaqué <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Apr 2013 00:59:03 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi,

I was doing a test using gnutls and connecting to twitter api
services. Example attached.

I successfully passed the TLS/SSL part, but then I got this HTTP bad
header issue. I am running Guile 2.0.5 from Debian/unstable but
current stable-2.0 branch also suffers from the safe problem (I
think).

=============
184: 1 [read-header #<input-output: gnutls-session-port 2e94c30>]
 754: 0 [parse-asctime-date "Wed, 03 Apr 2013 07:29:49 UTC"]

web/http.scm:754:6: In procedure parse-asctime-date:
web/http.scm:754:6: Throw to key `bad-header' with args `(date "Wed,
03 Apr 2013 07:29:49 UTC")'.
=============

Basically, the problem is that web/http.scm only accepts a GMT suffix
and the twitter server sends UTC. I think the RFC 822 standard accepts
UT instead of UTC, so it would be wrong as well.

Really, not sure what's the right way to fix this considering that
even the twitter server does not send a correct day (as far as I
understood the RFC).

Thanks,

Aleix