Subject: Re: bug#14121: Fwd: Eager macroexpansion failure in Emacs 24.3

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 03 Apr 2013 14:41:34 -0400

tags 14121 notabug
thanks

> emacs --no-init-file --load ~/test-case.el
[...]
> In *Messages* buffer:
[...]
> Eager macro-expansion failure: (error "(erc-response\\.contents parsed) is
> not a valid place expression")

Not a big surprise:

   emacs24 -Q --batch -f batch-byte-compile test-case.el 
   
   In end of data:
   test-case.el:14:1:Warning: the following functions are not known to be
       defined: erc-response.contents, setf, erc-replace-regexp-in-string
   Wrote /home/monnier/tmp/test-case.elc

Emacs-24.3 tries to expand macros more eagerly (i.e. more like the
byte-compiler), so files that fail to byte-compile properly are also
likely to fail that eager macro-expansion.

But do note that the above message is somewhat harmless: when eager
macro-expansion fails, Emacs falls back on macro-expanding lazily as it
has always done.  IOW other than emitting the above message your code
should still work fine.

        Stefan