Subject: bug#14085: closed (Re: bug#14117: 24.3.50; message buffer is not deleted when sending email)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 08:01:04 +0000

Your bug report

#14117: 24.3.50; regression `C-c C-c' in `report-emacs-bug' no longer closes the report window

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
14117: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=14117
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#14117: 24.3.50; message buffer is not deleted when sending email
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 04:00:01 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Glenn Morris wrote:

> Presumably the 2013-03-18 "minor cleanup" isn't (a cleanup). Why not
> just revert it?

Done.

Subject: 24.3.50; regression `C-c C-c' in `report-emacs-bug' no longer closes the report window
From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2013 22:43:08 -0700
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Until recently, when you hit `C-c C-c' in the report buffer that buffer
was buried, and you were returned to the buffer that was shown when you
did `M-x report-emacs-bug'.  This is no longer the case.  (Well, the
buffer *sent...* is shown instead of *unsent...*, but it is the same
report.  The point is that the report remains visible, instead of the
buffer you were working in before creating the bug report.)
 
(I use a mail client - Outlook, if that makes any difference.)
 
Note, BTW, that there is no change in the default value of
`message-kill-buffer-on-exit' - it is still nil, as it was in Emacs 24.3.  And
the definition of `message-send-and-exit' (which is bound to `C-c C-c') has not
changed.  Something else has introduced this regression in behavior.

Ah, it seems that this is perhaps the culprit: a change to `message-bury'.

It used to do this:

(defun message-bury (buffer)
  "Bury this mail BUFFER."
  (if message-return-action
      (progn
        (bury-buffer buffer)
        (apply (car message-return-action) (cdr message-return-action)))
    (with-current-buffer buffer (bury-buffer))))

And now it does this:

(defun message-bury (buffer)
  "Bury this mail BUFFER."
  (bury-buffer buffer)
  (when message-return-action
    (apply (car message-return-action) (cdr message-return-action))))

In my case, at least, `message-return-action' is nil.  This means that the
`with-current-buffer buffer' is no longer used, so it seems like the wrong
buffer gets buried.
 
In GNU Emacs 24.3.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2013-03-23 on VBOX
Bzr revision: 112115 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.7) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -IC:/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.10/include -IC:/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.10/src
 -IC:/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1_win32/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2_win32/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1-lib/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4-lib/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1-lib/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8-w32-bin/include/libxml2
 -IC:/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.1.10-w32/include
 -IC:/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.14-2-mingw32-dev/include'