Subject: bug#1411: closed (Re: bug#1411: errors message upon exit disappear along with emacs)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 18:51:02 +0000

Your bug report

#1411: errors message upon exit disappear along with emacs

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
1411: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1411
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#1411: errors message upon exit disappear along with emacs
From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2011 14:50:10 -0400
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

I don't see a need to keep open this particular report, which was marked
"wontfix" some time ago.

>From [email-masked] Sat Nov 22 08:12:16 2008
To: [email-masked]
Subject: errors message upon exit disappear along with emacs
From: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2008 23:07:30 +0800

I noticed when exiting emacs there was some error message in the
minibuffer, but it disappeared along with emacs before I could read it.

Let's see, I can sort of reproduce it here,
(and(message "Wait, Holmes!")(save-buffers-kill-emacs))
but that's only a guess.

You might say that every message should have a pause 1 second function
after it.

Anyways, not every message expects that it will have
save-buffers-kill-emacs right after it.

Well, maybe just the save-buffers-kill-emacs command should have a
pause 1 second command before it.

Or it should check the messages buffer at its start and finish, and if any
thing unexpected accumulates spew them onto stderr and exit, or
better: pause with "there were these messages, still exit? (y or n).

Or maybe emacs just shouldn't erase the screen... Hmmm, but in X
windows we want to close the window though. Stderr errors would end up
unnoticed in .xsession-errors probably...