Subject: 24.3; crash in remember_mouse_glyph

From: Steve Vinoski <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:59:32 -0400

Not sure what exactly triggers it, but I've been seeing this on various
builds of emacs 24 since last august or september. This time I was
simply opening a file in a new frame and then mousing over to start
entering text into the file. Here's the traceback from the Apple crash
report:

Process:         Emacs [68925]
Path:            /Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs
Identifier:      org.gnu.Emacs
Version:         Version 24.3 (9.0)
Code Type:       X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:  ??? [1]
User ID:         502

Date/Time:       2013-03-15 10:46:54.681 -0400
OS Version:      Mac OS X 10.8.2 (12C3103)
Report Version:  10

Interval Since Last Report:          151838 sec
Crashes Since Last Report:           109
Per-App Interval Since Last Report:  339398 sec
Per-App Crashes Since Last Report:   1
Anonymous UUID:                      0A5881E5-1B4E-30A8-8DF4-1C61D6DB9E59

Crashed Thread:  0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: EXC_I386_GPFLT

Thread 0 Crashed:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib         0x00007fff93eb9d46 __kill + 10
1   org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010009f984
terminate_due_to_signal + 116
2   org.gnu.Emacs                 0x00000001000bca43 emacs_abort + 19
3   org.gnu.Emacs                 0x0000000100189521 ns_term_shutdown + 81
4   org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010009f0e5 shut_down_emacs + 197
5   org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010009f95b
terminate_due_to_signal + 75
6   org.gnu.Emacs                 0x00000001000bca5e handle_fatal_signal +
14
7   org.gnu.Emacs                 0x00000001000bce72
deliver_fatal_thread_signal + 146
8   libsystem_c.dylib             0x00007fff8cc8f8ea _sigtramp + 26
9   org.gnu.Emacs                 0x0000000100026d97 remember_mouse_glyph +
71
10  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010018cc91 ns_mouse_position + 497
11  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010000ef59 Fmouse_position + 169
12  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010011b2db Ffuncall + 1179
13  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x0000000100153096 exec_byte_code + 806
14  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010011ad5b funcall_lambda + 763
15  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010011b074 Ffuncall + 564
16  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x0000000100153096 exec_byte_code + 806
17  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010011ad5b funcall_lambda + 763
18  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010011b074 Ffuncall + 564
19  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x0000000100119c36 Fapply + 470
20  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010011b306 Ffuncall + 1222
21  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x0000000100153096 exec_byte_code + 806
22  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010011a6da eval_sub + 1626
23  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010011d106
internal_lisp_condition_case + 518
24  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010015358e exec_byte_code + 2078
25  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010011ad5b funcall_lambda + 763
26  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010011b074 Ffuncall + 564
27  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010011ce4e call1 + 30
28  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x00000001000a6661 timer_check + 1393
29  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x00000001000a67f1 readable_events + 241
30  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x00000001000a6f65 get_input_pending + 101
31  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x00000001000a708a
detect_input_pending_run_timers + 90
32  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010015e83f
wait_reading_process_output + 1455
33  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x0000000100006123 sit_for + 227
34  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x00000001000ada37 read_char + 4263
35  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x00000001000afe6d read_key_sequence +
2269
36  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x00000001000b1f4a command_loop_1 + 602
37  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x0000000100119285
internal_condition_case + 309
38  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x00000001000a7f87 command_loop_2 + 55
39  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x000000010011938e internal_catch + 222
40  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x00000001000a864c recursive_edit_1 + 364
41  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x00000001000aa5f3 Frecursive_edit + 291
42  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x00000001000a0823 main + 2963
43  org.gnu.Emacs                 0x0000000100001e94 start + 52

Thread 1:: Dispatch queue: com.apple.libdispatch-manager
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib         0x00007fff93ebad16 kevent + 10
1   libdispatch.dylib             0x00007fff90d7ddea _dispatch_mgr_invoke +
883
2   libdispatch.dylib             0x00007fff90d7d9ee _dispatch_mgr_thread +
54

Thread 2:
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib         0x00007fff93eba322 __select + 10
1   org.gnu.Emacs                 0x0000000100191d28 -[EmacsApp
fd_handler:] + 632
2   com.apple.Foundation           0x00007fff8fdb7612 __NSThread__main__ +
1345
3   libsystem_c.dylib             0x00007fff8cca1742 _pthread_start + 327
4   libsystem_c.dylib             0x00007fff8cc8e181 thread_start + 13

Thread 3:
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib         0x00007fff93eba6d6 __workq_kernreturn +
10
1   libsystem_c.dylib             0x00007fff8cca3eec _pthread_workq_return
+ 25
2   libsystem_c.dylib             0x00007fff8cca3cb3 _pthread_wqthread + 412
3   libsystem_c.dylib             0x00007fff8cc8e171 start_wqthread + 13

Thread 4:
0   libsystem_kernel.dylib         0x00007fff93eba6d6 __workq_kernreturn +
10
1   libsystem_c.dylib             0x00007fff8cca3eec _pthread_workq_return
+ 25
2   libsystem_c.dylib             0x00007fff8cca3cb3 _pthread_wqthread + 412
3   libsystem_c.dylib             0x00007fff8cc8e171 start_wqthread + 13

Thread 0 crashed with X86 Thread State (64-bit):
  rax: 0x0000000000000000  rbx: 0x0000000000000006  rcx: 0x00007fff5fbfd778
 rdx: 0x0000000000000000
  rdi: 0x0000000000010d3d  rsi: 0x0000000000000006  rbp: 0x00007fff5fbfd7a0
 rsp: 0x00007fff5fbfd778
   r8: 0xfffffffef6bd668f   r9: 0x00000000000000ff  r10: 0x00007fff93eba23a
 r11: 0x0000000000000202
  r12: 0x000000000000000a  r13: 0x000000010180303a  r14: 0x000000000000000b
 r15: 0x00000001005abb48
  rip: 0x00007fff93eb9d46  rfl: 0x0000000000000202  cr2: 0x0000000100719fe8
Logical CPU: 0

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
 of 2013-03-10 on bob.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1187
Configured using:
 `configure '--host=x86_64-apple-darwin' '--build=i686-apple-darwin'
 '--with-ns' 'build_alias=i686-apple-darwin'
 'host_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin' 'CC=gcc -mmacosx-version-min=10.5 ''

Important settings:
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-decoding-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<escape> x r e p o r t - <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading ruby-mode...done
Loading /Users/steve/elisp/autofit-frame.el (source)...done
Loading js2...done
Loading nxml-mode...done
(lambda (s) ...) quoted with ' rather than with #'
Loading /Users/steve/elisp/haskell-mode-2.8.0/haskell-site-file.el
(source)...done
Loading /Users/steve/.emacs.d/elpa/rust-mode-0.1.0/rust-mode.el
(source)...done
Starting Emacs daemon.
Restarting server
When done with this frame, type s-w

Load-path shadows:
/usr/local/lib/erlang/lib/tools-2.6.9/emacs/erlang hides
/Users/steve/elisp/erlang
/usr/local/lib/erlang/lib/tools-2.6.9/emacs/erlang-start hides
/Users/steve/elisp/erlang-start
/usr/local/lib/erlang/lib/tools-2.6.9/emacs/erlang-skels hides
/Users/steve/elisp/erlang-skels

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils revbufs rust-mode derived cl-macs gv cm-mode
rng-nxml rng-valid rng-loc rng-uri rng-parse nxml-parse rng-match rng-dt
rng-util rng-pttrn nxml-ns nxml-mode nxml-outln nxml-rap nxml-util
nxml-glyph nxml-enc xmltok js2-mode imenu js2-indent js2-parse
js2-browse js2-highlight js2-ast js2-messages js2-scan js2-util js2-vars
cc-langs cl server autofit-frame fit-frame ruby-mode cperl-mode
erlang-start cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds
cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs clojure-mode-autoloads
rust-mode-autoloads cm-mode-autoloads package edmacro kmacro ibuffer
uniquify advice help-fns cl-lib advice-preload time-date avoid tooltip
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset
image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5
base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)