Subject: bug#14067: Bug in Russian localization of coreutils.

From: Van de Bugger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2013 20:33:41 +0400

$ wc --version
wc (GNU coreutils) 8.15
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>.
This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it.
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.

Written by Paul Rubin and David MacKenzie.

$ LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8 wc --version
wc (GNU coreutils) 8.15
Copyright (C) 2012 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
Лицензия GPLv3+: GNU GPL версии 3 или новее
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
Это свободное ПО: вы можете продавать и распространять его.
Нет НИКАКИХ ГАРАНТИЙ до степени, разрешённой законом.

Авторы программы -- Paul Rubin и David MacKenzie.

(Run on Fedora 17 x86_64 with all the updates.)

Pay attention to the 3rd last line:

Это свободное ПО: вы можете >>>продавать<<< и распространять его.

It is strange translation of "This is free software: you are free to
change and redistribute it." because "продавать" means "sell". Of
course, someone may sell free software, but... I would recommend to use
word "изменять" (change) or "модифицировать" (modify).

All the programs (but one) from coreutils use the same wording. I found
103 coreutils programs in bin directory:

$ rpm -ql coreutils | grep bin | wc -l 
103

And 102 occurrences of "продавать":

for f in $(rpm -ql coreutils | grep bin); do LANG=ru_RU.UTF-8 "$f"
--version; done | grep продавать | wc -l
102

One program (I do not know which one) is free from the bug.