Subject: Re: bug#14064: info.info page has conflict with info package

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2013 08:35:41 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 31 Mar 2013 18:46:27 -0400
> 
> > Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >
> >> How about installing ours only if none is found in some DIR file along
> >> INFOPATH?
> 
> To be more explicit; the environment at the time the rpm is built may
> bear no relation to the environment in which it is installed.

By "environment", are you alluding to my suggestion to look along
INFOPATH?  If so, we could search in certain standard directories,
such as /usr/local/share/info, as well.

> So AFAICS there is nothing clever the Emacs install rule can do
> here. As I said, I'd just make the rpm spec file unconditionally not
> install Emacs's info.info.

How is an rpm more clever than Emacs?  What do they do that Emacs's
installation procedure cannot?