Subject: bug#14064: info.info page has conflict with info package

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 12:25:26 -0400

Petr Hracek wrote:

> Just one note.
>
> I have looked into rpm package which provides info.info.gz
> and it is buildup from texlive srpm.
>
> I think that either from emacs or from texlive should be removed.
> I browsed both info files and they have really similar texts.

They are basically exactly the same file, just provided by two packages.
This is because both Emacs and Texinfo offer an info reader.
Is this a problem? Surely there must be other instances of this kind of
thing, and rpm must have a way to deal with this?

This issue is not new BTW, you're just noticing it now because prior to
Emacs 24.3, the Emacs version of the file was called "info" and the
Texinfo version was called "info.info". Eg on a RHEL 6.4 system I have
both:

rpm -qf /usr/share/info/info.gz 
emacs-common-23.1-21.el6_2.3.x86_64

rpm -qf /usr/share/info/info.info.gz 
info-4.13a-8.el6.x86_64

Since Emacs 24.3 the Emacs version is also called "info.info". Thus the
situation is actually better than it used to be, because now you don't
get two copies of the same file.