Subject: 23.0.60; detached GTK+ tool bar does not return focus to its window

From: Stephen Berman <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:13:15 +0100

1. emacs -Q

2. Detach the tool bar (GTK+ build only), and notice that the window
(and consequently the frame) it was detached from remains in focus.

3. Click on the buttonized tool bar, thereby expanding it, and notice
that its window/frame is now no longer in focus.

4. Click on the down arrow button again, thereby contracting the tool
bar, and notice that its window/frame continues to lack focus.
Likewise, when the detached tool bar is expanded and you click on one of
the icons to execute its associated command, the window/frame remains
without focus.  This is particularly annoying when the command requests
feedback from the minibuffer, since it is necessary to restore focus to
the frame in order to give the required feedback.  

The expected and desirable behavior is for focus to remain on the
window/frame the tool bar was detached from, or at least for focus to
return to the window/frame immediately after doing either of the click
events in step 4.  (Perhaps this is a GTK+ bug, but I'm not aware of
another GTK+ app aside from Emacs that uses a detachable tool bar to
test for it.)

In GNU Emacs 23.0.60.16 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.12.9)
 of 2008-11-20 on escher
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10400090
Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=local
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t