Subject: Re: detached GTK+ tool bar

From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 12:01:09 +0100

Chong Yidong skrev:
> Excerpted from bug#1405:
> 
>> ...
>> Perhaps this is a GTK+ bug, but I'm not aware of another GTK+ app
>> aside from Emacs that uses a detachable tool bar to test for it.
> 
> When Emacs got detachable tool bars, it was the standard for GTK
> applications to provide a detachable tool bar.  Nowadays, no other GTK
> application provides a detachable tool bar as far as I can tell.  (Maybe
> this feature was considered useless?)  So maybe we should turn this off.
> 
> Jan, what do you think?

We can always make it un-detachable by default and have some frame parameter 
to turn it on.  But since there are uses for a detachable tool bar as Stephen 
points out, I'd rather not remove it until we really need to (i.e. when Gtk+ 
removes the API for it).

But as for the focus bug described here, focus setting is in the 
responsibility of the window manager.  If for instance you have click to 
focus, the behaviour described here is expected.

I'd rather see if the focus can be kept to the frame.  We can perhaps put some 
hints to the window manager.  I'll look in to it.  Can the OP please tell us 
what window manager he is using and what kind of focus model he has (click to 
focus, focus follows mouse)?