Subject: 24.2; Emacs 24 and dead keys in Fedora 18

From: Alexandre Lagüe-Jacques<[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 23 Mar 2013 20:47:36 +0100

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

--- BEGIN DESCRIPTION ---
After installing Fedora 18, I've come across an odd problem with Emacs.

I use a Canadian multilingual keyboard. With this keyboard it is
possible to type the characters of every European language based on
the Latin alphabet. Dead keys are very important, as they allow one to
add frequently occurring accent marks to different letters. The
physical layout is here:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/55/KB_Canadian_Multilingual_Standard_comment-fr.svg

When I first ran Emacs after the installation, the dead keys that I
commonly use in French or German were not working. Emacs would display
an error like '<dead-grave> is undefined' when I pressed the dead key
and the subsquent letter was printed without an accent. The Emacs Wiki
provided a partial solution: the addition of the following line to
one's .emacs.
(require 'iso-transl)
(Source: http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DeadKeys)

Now I deal a lot with central Europe, and this requires me to type
words in languages like Czech or Polish. Interestingly enough, one can
not enter common Czech or Polish accented characters like ą, ę, ż, or
ž, which require a dead key. This produces an error message like
'<S-dead-caron> is undefined'. What doesn't require a dead key -- ł or
Ł for example, works. A further letter common to Polish produced with
a dead accent, ó or Ó, functions.

This implies that the input of non-ISO-8859-1 characters with dead keys
is somehow broken. Remember, I can type letters in French or German that
require dead keys without a problem and the ó or Ó is also used in
Spanish I believe -- all ISO-8859-1. Furthermore, opening files in
Emacs that contain the problem characters, or copying text containing
them into Emacs, functions normally.
--- END DESCRIPTION ---

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/24.2/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.6.4)
 of 2013-02-02 on buildvm-04.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11303000
Configured using:
 `configure '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 '--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix='
 '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr'
 '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include'
 '--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-dbus'
 '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff'
 '--with-xft' '--with-xpm' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-gpm=no'
 '--with-wide-int' 'build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 'host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -m64 -mtune=generic' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro ''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: fr_CA.UTF8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_CA.utf8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_CA.utf8
  value of $LC_TIME: fr_CA.utf8
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=ibus
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  show-paren-mode: t
  global-linum-mode: t
  linum-mode: t
  delete-selection-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x r e p <tab> o r <tab>
<return>

Recent messages:
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/desktop-entry-mode-init.el
(source)...done
Loading /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/rpm-spec-mode-init.el
(source)...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows: