Subject: bug#14036: 24.2; seemingly random crashes

From: Jonathon Anderson <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 14:09:04 -0400

This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

---
I experience a number of seeminly random crashes using Emacs throughout
the day, and have experienced these crashes relatively consistently
through a number of emacs versions.  Sometimes the crash happens when
generating an org-mode agenda (C-c a a); sometimes all I'm trying to do
is visit a file.  Sometimes (albeit more randomly) I'm just scrolling
around in an existing buffer.

I think all of the crashes I've experienced have been on OS X, but
across a wide range of versions.  I usually use Emacs.app built from
macports; but I've also experienced the same crashes using the binary
builds at http://emacsformacosx.com.

I've attached a crash report from the apple "Problem Report" application.

I understand that this isn't much to go on; but the crashes happen
frequently enough that, if I can get some direction on how to pull
better log / debugging data, I can do more research.
---

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/Applications/MacPorts/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin12.2.1, NS apple-appkit-1187.34)
 of 2012-11-19 on Jonathons-MacBook-Pro.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1187
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/opt/local' '--with-ns' '--without-x'
 '--without-dbus' 'CC=/usr/bin/clang' 'CFLAGS=-pipe -O2 -arch x86_64'
 'LDFLAGS=-L/opt/local/lib -arch x86_64'
 'CPPFLAGS=-I/opt/local/include''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: nil
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  global-auto-revert-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-c a a <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> / <tab> s i u n
<backspace> <backspace> n a i <return> <help-echo>
<down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> <help-echo> <tab> <down-mouse-1>
<mouse-1> <up> <tab> <tab> <down> <down> <down> <down>
C-c C-t d <C-return> a l l o w SPC i n c o m i n g
SPC p o r t SPC 6 0 SPC o n SPC n o d e 2 - 8 C-c C-t
a C-c C-s <return> C-x C-s C-x 5 f / m i n e r v a
<return> <return> C-s p u p p e t C-s C-s C-s <up>
<return> M-x r e p o r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Note stored
Scheduled to <2013-03-15 Fri>
Saving file /Users/janderson/Agenda/sinai-security.org...
Wrote /Users/janderson/Agenda/sinai-security.org
Tramp: Opening connection for minerva.hpc.mssm.edu using ssh...

Opening connection for minerva.hpc.mssm.edu using ssh... \
Tramp: Opening connection for minerva.hpc.mssm.edu using ssh...done
ls does not support --dired; see `dired-use-ls-dired' for more details.
Mark saved where search started

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug message idna rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils
mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils misearch
multi-isearch dired-aux dired tramp-sh tramp-cache tramp tramp-compat
auth-source eieio assoc gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache
shell tramp-loaddefs mule-util cal-move parse-time diary-lib
diary-loaddefs cal-iso vc-git org-indent org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail
org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp
org-exp-blocks find-func org-info org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex
org-bbdb org-agenda org byte-opt warnings bytecomp byte-compile cconv
macroexp ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote
org-src ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete pcomplete comint
ansi-color ring org-list org-faces org-compat org-entities org-macs
noutline outline easy-mmode format-spec regexp-opt cal-menu easymenu
calendar cal-loaddefs uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload ido
edmacro kmacro autorevert time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty
emacs)