Subject: bug#14030: 24.3; expand-file-name expands remote file name on Windows incorrectly

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2013 09:36:07 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> The problem seems to be, that defalias is evaled during
>> byte-compilation. So I will revert the definition of
>> tramp-drop-volume-letter, that is is decided at runtime how it is
>> defined.
>
> Thanks.  It's probably best to do this on the emacs-24 branch.
>
>> What shall we do with Emacs 24.3 for MS Windows? I still believe, that
>> we must repackage it, and compile tramp.el on MS Windows.

Well. I have reverted the change of `tramp-drop-volume-letter' to the
definition as it has been before the change in #105625. Compiled
tramp.el and tramp-sh.el on GNU/Linux. Copied the resulting tramp.elc
and tramp-sh.elc into the Emacs 24.3 tree on MS Windows. The problem
persists.

I have the impression, that there is a byte-compiler optimization, which
throws away the call of `tramp-drop-volume-letter' in
`tramp-sh-handle-expand-file-name'. As I have said earlier,
(tramp-drop-volume-letter "c:/something") still works correctly.

How could I avoid this eager optimization?

> Thanks.

Best regards, Michael.