Subject: Re: bug#14030: 24.3; expand-file-name expands remote file name on Windows incorrectly

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 19:35:10 +0200

> From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2013 18:21:48 +0100
> 
> > So, somehow, compiling tramp-sh.el on Unix replaces the call to
> > tramp-drop-volume-letter with nothing.  Perhaps the condition, viz.
> 
> Yes, that is intended. tramp-drop-volume-letter is not needed on GNU/Linux.

??? But byte-compiled files are supposed to be platform-independent.
The release tarball includes all of the *.elc files, which were
compiled on Unix when the release was tarred, and they are not
recompiled when Emacs is built on Windows (or on any other platform).
Now you seem to be saying that all the *.elc files need to be compiled
as part of the build on the target platform.  I think this isn't a
good thing.

> Does this mean, this declaration requests Tramp to be compiled on MS
> Windows?

No, it means tramp-drop-volume-letter has a bug that needs to be
fixed, IMO.

> We shall repackage Emacs 24.3 for MS Windows then.

Lisp files are not supposed to be recompiled on the target platform.
They are architecture-independent, and are installed in a directory
which can be shared among different architectures.

Sorry, but I think this is a grave bug.