Subject: Re: bug#14022: libtool-gug

From: Peter Rosin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 11:52:11 +0100

On 2013-03-22 10:04, Andreas Otto wrote:
> Am 22.03.2013 09:34, schrieb Peter Rosin:
>> Your error is that you have specified --build incorrectly.
>> You are building on Cygwin with a Cygwin-hosted compiler,
>> which means that --build should be something-cygwin (but
>> you should leave configure to autodetect the specifics).
>> What you want to do is to specify --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32
>> since you are building for a MinGW host.
>>
>> Cheers, and hope that helps,
>> Peter
>>
> 
> Stopp, you are right and not right at the same time.
> 
> I using cygwin to build a windows native library -> this mean WITHOUT any cygwin specific libraray
> => so, I'm using cygwin in cross-compiling mode ;-)

I don't see where I'm not right. I said that you are using
a Cygwin-hosted compiler, which is what I think you are
objecting against. But you are. I could have been clearer
and said Cygwin-hosted cross-compiler targeting MinGW or
something such, but your compiler is in fact Cygwin-hosted,
no error there AFAICT (i.e. the compiler itself is linked
against Cygwin libs).

Side note, I guess you can drop your CC and CXX exports,
configure will find automatically them with your --host
argument.

> NOW i found the error (with the help of you)
> 
> I used "--build=x86_64-w64-mingw32" but I need "--host=x86_64-w64-mingw32" to enable
> cross-compiling
> 
> to make this error not happen again, I add an error-ckeck to my "configure.ac" script
> 
> ....
> if test "$build_os" = "mingw32"; then
>   AC_MSG_ERROR([as '--build=...' only cygwin is supported
>   -> keep it unchanged if you are working in a cygwin toolchan
> to enable cross-compiling mode you have to specify
>   -> --host=x86_64-w64-mingw32])
> elif test "$build_os" = "cygwin"; then
> ...

That will kill building the project on MSYS. I guess it's
your project, but it seems a bit hostile to me...

> Thanks for your help.

You're welcome!

Cheers,
Peter