Subject: bug#14013: 24.3.50; dired-isearch-filenames-regexp is matching text outside filenames

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 May 2013 23:50:07 +0300

> I must say I got a bit lost.  Still learning how isearch internally
> works.  Juri, can you help me with a new patch?

Sorry, I still have not figured out how to limit the search for ".*"
only to file names.  Maybe there is no good solution.  For example,
to limit operations to file names only, Wdired uses such kludge
as `wdired-downcase-word' and `wdired-upcase-word' to skip non-file
parts of Dired buffers.

For a regexp ".*" to match file names only this might require a new
regexp feature for specifying text-properties in regexps similar to
`\sCODE' for syntax classes, or `\cC' for character categories,
or character classes like `[:ascii:]'.  So for example, a regexp like
"^[#dired-filename#]*$" would match only the text with text-properties
`dired-filename'.

> I must also admit that I got used to use `dired-hide-details-mode' in
> combination with isearch now and am very happy.  (BTW, I have
> search-invisible -> open, but invisible fields are not opened - is this
> normal?).

I wonder why do you want isearch to open hidden dired details when you use
`dired-hide-details-mode' with the intention to hide them from isearch?