Subject: bug#14013: 24.3.50; dired-isearch-filenames-regexp is matching text outside filenames

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2022 02:23:41 +0100

Juri Linkov <[email-masked]> writes:

> This works reliably only because the search function puts point at the
> beginning of every file name during search.

I'm not about non-interactive searches, seldom use them - can something
like `dired-isearch-filenames-regexp' be done non-interactively?

Anyway, my complete idea was: whenever we provide a special search
command that limits isearch to certain entities, like file names in a
dired buffer, we always guarantee that point can be matched at the
beginning of each entity with \= (and maybe also \` and ^).  In an
interactive search \= is quite useless (right?), so we can use it for
that and avoid hacks that would probably be worse.

We would still not have a solution to match the end of the entities,
however.  Fortunately for files in dired $ works (by coincidence).

> Since ^ is easier to type, maybe both ^ and \` should be transformed
> into \=.

Why not.

Michael.