Subject: Re: bug#14006: 24.3.50; doc of `completion-in-region-mode', `completion-in-region'

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2021 08:28:15 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> Doc string of `completion-in-region-mode' is useless.  It says nothing
> more than that the mode is "used during `completion-in-region'.  Used
> for what?  Used how?  What does it do?

I think that's beyond the role of the doc string here for this
internalish mode.

> Doc string of `completion-in-region' does not say how PREDICATE is used
> - what it means to "say when to exit" (how? why? exit what?).  And it
> is not clear whether point can be START or END or both or neither:
> "between" generally excludes both end points, but the meaning should
> be made explicit.  And nothing is said about what COLLECTION is -
> "using COLLECTION" means nothing.  At least cross-ref some other doc
> that describes COLLECTION.
>
> (elisp) `Completion in Buffers' says little more than what the doc
> string of `completion-in-region' says.  (At least it cross-references 
> COLLECTION.)  And it says nothing about `completion-in-region-mode'.

I think the doc string here is good enough, and punting to the manual
for more talk is fine.  Closing.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no