Subject: bug#13965: info.info conflict between emacs and texinfo

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2015 14:05:29 -0400

Gavin Smith wrote:

>> I'm sure there are many systems where Texinfo is installed and Emacs is not.
>> How are people on those systems supposed to learn how to use the
>> stand-alone info reader?
>
> It has its own manual. It doesn't have a tutorial, though. This would
> have to be added. It shouldn't be hard to cover the absolute minimum
> needed to be able to navigate through the rest of the manual.

info.info is obviously written to benefit users of both Emacs info and
stand-alone info. It seems weird to me to delete it from Texinfo just
for the sake of a distribution packing issue that

i) doesn't occur on Debian-based systems
(http://debbugs.gnu.org/14064#30)

ii) was solved two-years ago on RedHat-based systems in the rpm
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=927996#c11

If I were packaging Emacs for a distribution (let me randomly say SUSE),
I'd resolve this issue in the packaging step. But I'm just repeating
myself (http://debbugs.gnu.org/14064#33). Obviously it's your decision.