Subject: bug#13949: 24.4.1; `fill-paragraph' should not always put the buffer as modified

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 19:12:02 +0300

> From: Óscar Fuentes <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2016 18:05:36 +0200
> 
> >  emacs -Q
> >  C-x C-f README RET
> >  M-: (put-text-property 1 10 'myprop 'foo) RET
> >
> > Then look at the buffer-modified indication.
> 
> Sorry, but AFAIK if some feature does this without a
> with-silent-modifications wrapping it, a bug report would is in order,
> right?

No, I don't see why it should be a bug.  The text property can be
anything, including something that has a profound effect on how text
is displayed, like 'invisible' or 'display'.

> Again, the question nobody dares to answer: is there a legit case where
> the user benefits from marking the buffer as modified after applying or
> changing text properties?
> 
> >From the lack of response so far, I guess that the answer is "no".

This is the tail wagging the dog: we are not going to overturn a
long-standing way Emacs works with text properties for the sake of a
minor feature.  If you really want this feature to be accepted, please
find a way of doing that without any such notable effects, i.e. count
changes in the text properties, if any, with the text changes.