Subject: bug#13947: bug report for core-utils command : OD

From: Eric Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2013 10:03:47 -0600

On 03/22/2013 09:45 AM, Pádraig Brady wrote:
> Hopefully the attached clarifies things.

> * src/od.c (usage): Mention any printable character is output,
> Not just ASCII.
> * doc/coreutils.texi (od invocation): Further clarify that only
> single byte characters are output (due to the alignment requirement).
> Reported in http://bugs.gnu.org/13947

Yes, this looks good to me.  It could go in as-is, but see my question
below...

> ---
>  doc/coreutils.texi |    6 +++---
>  src/od.c           |    4 ++--
>  2 files changed, 5 insertions(+), 5 deletions(-)
> 

>  @table @samp
>  @item a
>  named character, ignoring high-order bit
>  @item c
> -ASCII character or backslash escape,
> +printable single byte character or backslash escape,

Hmm, we output octal sequences without a backslash; should the info page
be any more verbose that it is one of: a single-byte printable
character, a C backslash escape, or an octal sequence?  Or does that
just clutter things (seeing three octal digits, even without a
backslash, still makes it easy to determine that it can be used as an
escape sequence).

> +++ b/src/od.c
> @@ -339,7 +339,7 @@ suffixes may be . for octal and b for multiply by 512.\n\
>  Traditional format specifications may be intermixed; they accumulate:\n\
>    -a   same as -t a,  select named characters, ignoring high-order bit\n\
>    -b   same as -t o1, select octal bytes\n\
> -  -c   same as -t c,  select ASCII characters or backslash escapes\n\
> +  -c   same as -t c,  select printable characters or backslash escapes\n\

For the --help output, terse is good, so I don't see any improvements to
your change here.

-- 
Eric Blake   eblake redhat com    +1-919-301-3266
Libvirt virtualization library http://libvirt.org