Subject: Re: bug#13939: 24.3; Emacs 24.3 release won't compile on Windows with the msvc toolchain

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 09:20:29 +0200

> From: Fabrice Popineau <[email-masked]>
> Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 22:06:37 +0100
> Cc: 李丁 <[email-masked]>, 13939 <[email-masked]>
> 
> > 李丁, do you also compile Emacs 24.3 as a 64-bit executable?  Or do
> > you build it as a 32-bit executable?
> >
> 
> I may add that I reported a 64bits stacktrace, but I get the exact same
> result with 32bits:

For 64 bits, the trunk includes quite a few fixes that the emacs-24
branch doesn't.  But if you get the same crash in a 32-bit executable,
my theory that this is related to those fixes eats dust now.

If any one of you could debug this and find the culprit, we could fix
the emacs-24 branch.  Failing that, I suggest to use the trunk, in the
hope that the next release from that codebase will support MSVC.

Thanks.

> I still wonder why the current trunk is working at all for me.

Many things changed on the trunk, most of them unrelated.  Which one
is causing this, is hard to say.  One thing you can do is compare the
w32*.[ch] files and perhaps lisp.h as well, between these two
branches.  Not sure if it's worth your while, though, nor whether the
root cause will reveal itself this way.