Subject: Re: bug#13936: Default to UTF-8 for most Emacs source files

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 23:54:05 +0200

> Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 14:16:47 -0700
> From: Paul Eggert <[email-masked]>
> 
> Attached is a proposed patch to change the encoding to UTF-8 for most Emacs
> source files that contain non-ASCII characters.  This shouldn't affect
> the Emacs build or maintenance procedures, as Emacs itself can use
> either UTF-8 or non-UTF-8 encodings.  Switching to UTF-8 does make it
> easier to use non-Emacs tools, such as 'grep -r'.
> 
> This patch is a followon to Bug#13880 but is a bit more ambitious as
> it affects more files.  Like the patch in Bug#13880, the patch is a
> bit tricky to view, since it contains mixed encodings.
> 
> A few files remain in non-UTF-8 encodings, for technical reasons; see
> admin/notes/unicode.  Perhaps some of these can be converted to UTF-8
> some day, but they'll need more work.

I'm not sure converting etc/HELLO is a good idea.  Perhaps Handa-san
could chime in and comment on that matter.