Subject: Re: bug#13935: 24.3.50; `fullscreen' frame parameter is wrong, on MS Windows at least

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 12:12:29 +0200

> Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2013 10:24:57 +0100
> From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>, Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>, 
> 	[email-masked]
> 
> On a related note, I've just realized that the current trunk version
> of Emacs (the MS-Windows port) bounds F11 to one command called
> `toggle-frame-fullscreen' (which is supposed to do what its name
> suggests).
> But I've just tested it in a Windows 7 system (emacs -Q) and it
> doesn't work well:
> * The first time I type F11 (to toggle fullscreen "on"), I get [1].
> IIUC, the menu bar, tool bar, emacs window (with its modeline) and
> echo area should take the whole screen, but as you can see, that is
> not what is happening.

This was because the 'fullboth' terminology is confusing and tricked
me into thinking that 'fullboth' value of the 'fullscreen' frame
parameter means 'fullwidth' and 'fullheight' together.  But in fact,
'maximized' is 'fullwidth' and 'fullheight' together, while 'fullboth'
means the same as 'fullscreen'.  Confusing.

This is now fixed in revision 112048 on the trunk.

> * The second time I type F11 (to restore the normal size), I get [2].
> The frame should be restored to its original size and position, but as
> you can see, that doesn't happen either (the original position of the
> emacs frame wasn't that).

This feature is not supported in the Windows build, because I couldn't
find a way of doing that.  (There's a FIXME in w32fullscreen_hook to
that effect.)  Patches to fix this are welcome.