Subject: Re: bug#13928: [PATCH] plans: enabling subdir-object by default is blocked on bug#13928

From: Stefano Lattarini <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2014 11:05:41 +0100

On 04/22/2014 09:11 AM, Bert Wesarg wrote:
> Stefano,
> 
> may it be possible to disable the 'subdir-object is the
> default'-warning in the 1.14 release series than? We should have this
> warning only active when we are sure that this bug is resolved.
>
I'd rather not take this step back, since the 'subdir-objects'
option works correctly in most situations.

The right thing to do would be to fix the bug once and for all.
If somebody wants to give it a try, I will be happy to review any
patch in that direction.  Otherwise, I will try to make time to
attempt a fix myself in the coming weeks, but be warned that it
would likely entail dropping automatic dependency tracking support
for all those make implementations that doesn't support an
equivalent of GNU make "-include" directive.  (FWIW, I actually
believe that is the right way forward, but several people on this
list have expressed their dislike toward such a change, so I will
give them time to try a different approach themselves before
plunging ahead).

Regards,
  Stefano